Question on Piece Height and Width

Hello,

what is meant by:

Every piece is defined by a two-dimensional boolean Array, […]
Each position has the value true, if this position is filled by the piece.
The array must always be only as high and wide as necessary to accommodate the piece.

Does this mean that if my I piece is in horizontal alignment I would have to store it in a 1x4 array while if it is in vertical alignment I have to store it in a 4x1 array? Or would I be allowed to store it in a 4x4 array because in horizontal alignment it has width 4 and in vertical alignment it has height 4?

P.S. there is no category for the new project yet.

1 Like

Yes, the pieces should always have a minimum height and width.
Therefore, the I would be 1x4 and 4x1 respectively.

1 Like

Every piece is defined by a two-dimensional boolean Array, whereas the first dimension represent the rows and the second, the columns.
Doesn’t this mean that Piece I would be 4x1, not 1x4? because rows are first.

1 Like

Hi there!

We can rotate all the pieces, and all pieces except for the O piece look different in their different rotations, so accordingly, the piece matrix needs to reflect that as well. If the I piece is lying down flat (horizontal) , it fits in a matrix with 1 row and 4 columns, so a 1x4 matrix. If it’s standing up (vertical) , it fits in a matrix with 4 rows and 1 column, so a 4x1 matrix.

1 Like

Yes, I understand it, I just meant when he referred to I piece, I assumed it was in starting position (vertical) so it should be 4x1, thanks.